Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Free guide and other tips for cheapskates

My girlfriend and I like to broaden our horizon by visiting a different city every year. After Paris, Barcelona and Dublin, we锟斤拷锟絩e ready to take on New York City. I锟斤拷锟絭e been there once before, accompanying my husband on a business trip, and I had no problems in convincing my friend that we should really go to New York for our next trip! Just 9 weeks till we leave and we锟斤拷锟絩e already having a great time, thanks to this forum! Being Dutch, we锟斤拷锟絩e real cheapskates, of course. On the other hand, we锟斤拷锟絩e (just a little) past the age for hostels and fast food chains. Basically, we锟斤拷锟絩e trying to get the most out of our trip best-value-for-money-style, without counting every dollarcent we spend.





For a start, we锟斤拷锟絭e booked the much recommended Belvedere hotel. Arriving at JFK, we锟斤拷锟絣l take the Airtrain and subway into Manhattan. We锟斤拷锟絩e thinking of buying a 7-day Fun Pass for unlimited use of subways and buses rightaway. Normally we walk a lot during our trips, but we don锟斤拷锟絫 want to waste time trekking through uninteresting neighbourhoods (are there any in NYC??) to get to where we want to be....





A starting tip for fellow cheapskates: you can get a nice guide for FREE from www.nycvisit.com. Mine was mailed to me here in the Netherlands, I got it within a week! The guide contains subway and bus maps, lists of hotels, restaurants, museums and sights, and even a couple of coupons ; ).





I also like www.cheaponewyork.com, a site recommended on this forum. I think getting something to eat from a street cart is as much a New York experience as having dinner in a nice restaurant, and cheapo锟斤拷锟絪 pages on street eats are great!





I锟斤拷锟絣l be back with the rest of our plans, which will of course include the Staten Island Ferry, Central Park and Brooklyn Bridge. Other cheapskate tips are very welcome!





Free guide and other tips for cheapskates


I just browsed through a terrific paperback in Barnes %26amp; Noble, called ';The Cheap B*stard%26#39;s Guide to NYC'; (naturally, I was too cheap to actually buy the thing). You can probably order it online through B%26amp;N or Amazon.



Free guide and other tips for cheapskates


nymetro.com/urban/鈥ndex.htm




If you like to walk maybe hold of on the city pass for the subway until you actually get into Manhattan and realise that everything is an awful lot closer than it sounds. You will have a fantastic trip and enjoy it.




A friend of mine gave me ';The Cheap B*astard%26#39;s Guide to NYC';. It does have some great suggestions. Maybe you can find it discounted on half.com.



NYC is entertainment in itself. I could sit in a coffee shop or at sidewalk table for hours and be amused. People watching is at it%26#39;s best in NYC. A day spent in Central Park or just browsing shops in one my favorite neighborhoods is a day well-spent in my opinion. You don%26#39;t have to spend a lot of money to have a good time there!




Great site, nywhiz! That%26#39;ll keep me busy for a few days.



Bettina NYC, I%26#39;ll buy the Cheap B*stard%26#39;s Guide and then sell it to you at half price at the end of my stay! (Just kidding..)


  • blemishes
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment