Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Won A Trip To NewYorkCity!

My Daughter and I ( she%26#39;s 20) won a trip to NYC. So Thrilled! As I have always wanted to go..


We Are staying at the Grand Hyatt..4 nights and 5 days, June 2 thru 6, also David Letterman show, but they are ';dark'; that week, so we need to work out something else I hope! and really would like to ';see it all!'; not too into shopping, but maybe could browse? LOL


We are planning on seeing Broadway shows.. Phantom, for sure and Mama Mia, hopefully.


Other than that, we are clueless any advice would really be appreciated.. also ';inexpensive places to eat, with maybe one really nice place?';


I know I should get reservations ahead of time...


also what tours are the best? help! thanks




Won A Trip To NewYorkCity!


Lucky you have a ball



Won A Trip To NewYorkCity!


Indeed Waterford. Congratulations desertvc, you lucky things! I posted a report from my trip in November yesterday - Late trip report November 2004, which covers a few of your questions. All the restaurants we ate in were fairly reasonable. I would definitely advise getting Phantom tickets through broadwaybox.com/broadwayoffers.com if available - we got ours for 63 dollars (100 dollars was advertised price at the box office) and we avoided wasting part of a day queuing for TKTS. Please fell free to ask any questions on my report if you like. Have a fab trip!




Your daughter will certainly enjoy walking around the New York University-Greenwich Village-SoHo area: loaded with cafes, clubs, funky shops, art galleries, lots of interesting-looking people and sites....Must-sees are obviously the United Nations, the South St. Seaport, Wall Street area (Ground Zero and its aftermath--tons of security on every street), Chinatown. I%26#39;d pick Hairspray or Lion King over Phantom. Lincoln Center is worth seeing too; check on what%26#39;s there when you are. For many relatively inexpensive places to eat, try the Chelsea section around 8th Avenue and West 20th St. (FYI, Chelsea%26#39;s got a sizable gay population...It%26#39;s a vibrant, colorful place with many cafes...My favorite is La Belle Vie, a French bistro with great ambiance, excellent food and modest prices.) Always a good bet to do your homework by getting some of the guidebooks...




Congratulations! The Grand Hyatt is wonderful and is centrally located, a great choice.





To see the latest news on Broadway shows, visit www.playbill.com, but your first stop to buy discount tickets is www.broadwaybox.com. Personally, I think Phantom is a great choice! The production is sumptuous. While lots of people rave about The Lion King, I%26#39;m not one of them. I found the giant puppet heads distracting, and aside from the great opening number, I found the animated movie more emotional. I loved Hairspray, but haven%26#39;t seen it without the great Harvey Fierstein. I%26#39;ve been to Mamma Mia a few times, and even though it%26#39;s hokey as can be and the plot is totally contrived, I and every one I%26#39;ve taken has been in love with this fun show.





So many incredible restaurants here. I%26#39;ll recommend two for special meals. First, lunch at Central Park%26#39;s Boathouse Restaurant is truly lovely. The food%26#39;s very good, but the real star is the lakeside setting. Second, a big splashy dinner at the River Cafe (www.rivercafe.com), just a 5-minute taxi ride from Manhattan, it sits on a barge under the Brooklyn Bridge. Most beautiful view in the city, and the food is exquisite. Or, take a walking tour of Brooklyn Heights and enjoy views of the downtown Manhattan skyline from the promenade, then stroll over to the River Cafe.





You might also consider reserving a Big Apple Greeter:



www.bigapplegreeter.org



We are an organization of 300+ volunteers who love showing visitors around our neighborhoods for FREE. A Greeter will also help you get oriented to the city and guide you to the best strategies for getting around and seeing the sites.





June is such a great time to be here! You%26#39;ll have a fabulous time.




thank you everyone for your great advice! Sounds like we will be doing lots of walking! The Phantom for us, is a must see since seeing the movie, and knowing the music by heart! LOL and I will buy those tickets ahead at a discount..as far as I know though right now Mama Mia isn%26#39;t dicounted? I love ABBA and am looking forward to it, I don%26#39;t care if some say its ';hokey!';



How far ahead do I need to get reservatins to restaurants? like the River Walk, is it? thanks




If u like Abba u will love Mamma Mia and even if you cant get discounted tickets it is worth every cent.




Personally I loved both Mama Mia and The Phantom. The Lion King was okay too but not in the same League. Its very Disney( because it IS Disney I guess!). Rent is good if its still on and if you have time to fit in another show


The Hop on Hop Off Bus Tours are great because they cover all the must see sights.


Have a lovely trip,




It%26#39;s the River Cafe and get them as soon as you can. Request a window table. Keep in mind it%26#39;s in Brooklyn, not Manhattan.





As far as tours, I recommend three.





The Circle Line boat tour, either the 2 or 3-hour tour.





The Greyline ';loops'; bus tour.





The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island tour.




For a musical, try Movin Out at the Richard Rogers Theater. Brilliant choreography, cast and band. It%26#39;s set to local lad Billy Joel%26#39;s music. I wasn%26#39;t a fan before. Found him a bit middle of the road and heart on sleave. But that%26#39;s just what Broadway is. His music becomes something much greater in this show that runs the familiar growing up in the 60%26#39;s, vietnam in the 70s and breaking thru in thr 80s theme. Joyful, moving and non stop great music.


  • blemishes
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment