Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Will all you Brits please stop buying clothes

Prices in New York City are six times higher than in the rest of the nation said a story in today%26#39;s NY Post business section. And one of the main reasons, according to officials, are ';rising clothing prices which are being kept high in past weeks for foreign tourists here on shopping sprees.

';Clothing prices traditionally drop 3.1% in January because of seasonal sales, but this January the prices jumped for the first time in years so retailers could capture more tourist dollars.';

The weak dollar, according to the article, has created bargain shopping for foreigners who are paying about half of what they would pay at home for the same merchandise. Nationally, prices rose by just 0.1% in January but in metro New York they jumped by 0.6%. The biggest price jumps were in gasoline (up 15.7%), rents (up 6.4%) and clothing (up 7.7%).

Mayor Bloomberg is blaming the inflation on posts from Bettina and NYCGirl on the Trip Advisor Forum who are advising U.K. visitors where to shop.

(I just made that last one up.).

Will all you Brits please stop buying clothes

You%26#39;re absolutely right! Not only am I advising them, I%26#39;m also hosting them! But, my dear Ruffian, you%26#39;re very much to blame as well.

What do you think we ought to do? Send them all shopping in Connecticut?

Will all you Brits please stop buying clothes

C%26#39;mon, Bettina. You%26#39;ve seen the way I dress. Do you really think I%26#39;m in any position to be advising anyone on clothing? Occasionally, panhandlers give ME money.


Hey Ruffian look on the bright side-at least you dont have to pay $7 a gallon for your petrol-sorry gas! You can also go out on the town in New York. Try coming over to Manchester for a night on the tiles and you%26#39;d be sending money over here to help us mancs enjoy ourselves.


Well, I%26#39;m OK as I am a strange Brit who doesn%26#39;t do a lot of shopping!


Always had a hunch you were a bit different, Daisiegee. It%26#39;s really time you packed up and moved here permanently. You%26#39;re really a New Yorker at heart.


If my hubby could get back for every Newcastle game, we%26#39;d be there tomorrow. Our home has to be within easy distance of St James%26#39; and the necessary pubs beforehand! You%26#39;re playing with my dreams mentioning it.....


Daisiegee!?!?!? Your husbands a mag?!?!?! Very disappointed! I thought I%26#39;d found a fellow mackem on here!


Well, Ange...he%26#39;s from Gateshead, hence the Newcastle following, and I%26#39;m a Sunderland lass. Both kids are black and white...I%26#39;m in a minority of 1


snap Daisiegee - I%26#39;m from durham originally so am red %26amp; white through %26amp; through, I made the mistake of giving birth to my son this side of the water so there are often disagreements about who stinks more - geordies or mackems! (the correct answer is geordies btw!)


Great idea. *Please* send all of your foreign tourists to Connecticut to buy clothes!

  • channel
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment