Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Make up in Macy's (etiquette)

I am in New York for my birthday - next Friday!!!



I would like to have my make-up done at Macys%26#39;



Can someone advise what the etiquette is for make overs



do you pay for them?



do you give a tip?



do you have to pay an abundence of products?



can someone recommend which counter is good - I wear clinique products at present - but I%26#39;m not exclusive???!!!!!



Make up in Macy's (etiquette)


We were in New York last week my daughter had her make up done on the Chanel counter in Macys, she just went up and asked, she bought some make up after she had it done, but she was going to buy some anyway. I would try [Serophena not sure if that is spelt right], they are cheaper than Macys and Bloomingdales.



Make up in Macy's (etiquette)


Sephora is the store you are thinking of. They wouldn%26#39;t be cheaper than the dept stores cause they sale everything at its retail price. (Either place is good for a makeover) Basically if someone does your make-up you should at least buy some products from them, so go to a counter that has things you would consider trying.




There is no regular ';etiquette'; for all counters at all stores. Some brands expect you to buy a certain amount of product after the makeup application, others charge, others will do it for free and hope to sell you something. You just have to ask. I have never tipped a makeup artist and as I said, they should tell you upfront what the ';deal'; is.





Sometimes there may be a special promotion going on at a certain store on certain brands. I just checked the Clinique website and you will miss their special event. It is going on now at Bloomingdales and ends on Monday. There%26#39;s one at Macys starting March 13. Here%26#39;s the web page



clinique.ca/templates/鈥?/a>





If you%26#39;ve picked Macys because of their foreigner%26#39;s discount, I%26#39;ll alert you that the make up counters in all dept stores afre franchised meaning they%26#39;re owned and run by the makeup cos., not Macy%26#39;s so not sure that discount will be accepted for makeup, but maybe.





I use a lot of Bobbi Brown and I think they have a set price (unless there%26#39;s a special promotion) for an application or a lesson. Looking on their website, Bobbi Brown herself will be at Saks next Sat. If you wanted to try this, you%26#39;d probably need an appt.



bobbibrowncosmetics.com/templates/door/store鈥?/a>





Bergdorf Goodman has a huge makeup dept too in their basement with lots of brands you won%26#39;t find elsewhere. I%26#39;d just be careful to pick something you will be able to get again if you like it. Saks and Henri Bendel are other dept stores with good depts.




Thank you very much for your advice, the reason I had thought about Macy%26#39;s is because I am staying very close by.



But I guess somewhere like Sephora has more choice!



Thanks again - I am getting so excited now - although my 7th time to NYC, the excitement never fades




Myself and two friends had our makeup done in January on the Clarins counter at Bloomingdales.



We were all really pleased with our look. My friends both spent well over $250 each but I was determined not to spend as much and just bought an exfoliator for $31. I may have been a little sensitive but I did feel that they were a little stroppy with me when I wouldnt buy any more, but I was really coerced into having it done so stuck to my guns.



Enjoy yourself.




I%26#39;m not sure Sephora does have more choice than Macy%26#39;s. In fact it may be the opposite and at Macy%26#39;s each counter has it%26#39;s own makeup artists whereas I think at Sephora, there are just a few for all the brands. But the Sephora website does say there are free makeup consultations. There%26#39;s one near Macy%26#39;s



www.sephora.com/help/stores/controller.jhtml鈥?/a>




Welcome back Nywhiz missed your reports




Hi Waterford. Thanks for the kind words.




I was just reading through some other post on makeup



tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k72261-L鈥?/a>



and was reminded that people had reported great prices on Clinique at duty free at JFK. So while that won%26#39;t solve your makeover issue, maybe don%26#39;t buy everything you need of Clinique as it may be cheaper at the airport when you leave. ;)




Have just returned from nyc and spent a great hour in Macy%26#39;s having my make up done at the Clarins counter - Joan did the skincare and Chrissie did the makeup. I use Clarins anyway so was going to buy some stuff.



They were really fun, made me feel and look about ten years younger and offered to do the same thing again the next day as I had a big concert at the Lincoln Center.



They had a whole lot of stuff ready for me to buy but I just stuck to what I had come in for and that was fine.



Nearly waited to buy duty free on the way home - we flew out of Newark - thank goodness I didn%26#39;t wait as their duty free shopping is non existent!

No comments:

Post a Comment